Stuck in the summer doldrums? This list of summer writing prompts is perfect for inspiring your next writing project or art journal entry.
Try using them to write a scene, as an object or theme central to a short story, or the subject for a poem. You can also use them to describe a reaction they would get from one of your characters or as something that has influenced who your character has become.
Alternatively, use one a day for 31 days as a summer writing challenge or art journal challenge!
31 Summer Writing and Art Journaling Prompts
- Summer storms or lightning strikes
- Berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Swimming (in the ocean, in a pool, in a lake)
- Insects: Crickets, grasshoppers, fireflies, or cicadas
- Insects: Hornets, Wasps, or Bees
- Moths or butterflies
- A summer night under the stars
- Dog days (the hot summer days following the rise of Sirius, the dog star)
- Mowing Hay
- Hot asphalt
- Road trip
- Long days
- Light on the water
- Seashells or snail shells